The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), established in 2010, is a continental development program that promotes youth volunteerism in Africa. The program aims to deepen the status of young people as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy development as well as design and implementation of relevant interventions towards the Africa Union’s Agenda 2063, ‘The Africa we want’. It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The volunteering opportunities are intended to build professionalism and a sense of responsibility among the participants, thus enhancing their employability.
We hereby invite applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: AU Volunteer – “9th Batch”
- Young African professionals are recruited to serve for a period of 12 months as AU Volunteers in an AU Member State other than their own.
Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
- Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora;
- Aged between 18 – 35 years;
- Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
- Available in 2018/19 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for volunteer work;
- Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
- Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese);
- Has at least one-year verifiable volunteering experience and one-year professional work experience.
Recruitment Process & Key Dates
- 15th June: Eligibility check;
- 31st July: Successful applicants will be notified;
- September/October: Pre-deployment orientation training;
- 2018/19: Deployment of trained volunteers.
For the successful candidates, the African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of their pre-deployment training and cost of their deployment. On deployment, the African Union Youth Volunteers receive the following:
- Economy return air ticket from hometown to place of deployment
- A modest monthly stipend
- Health insurance cover
- AU Service Passport
- Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply
To submit your application:
- Create an account on the http://hrm.aucareers.org/erec portal (instructions and video tutorial available)
- Fill out your Personal Information and the Application Form
- Attach the following documents:
- Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages)
- Bio page of your passport (or national ID)
- Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts)
- Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your leadership qualities
- Attach your Cover Letter. In your Cover Letter, please respond to the following questions:
- Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
- What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
- What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?
- Review and submit your application before the deadline above.
Application Deadline: 31st May, 2018.
- Incomplete and late applications will not be considered
- Providing incomplete or incorrect information is ground for immediate termination.