The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist
Location: Yola, Nigeria
Contract type: Expatriate contract
About the Job
- The Danish Refugee Council is present in Nigeria since 2015, delivering emergency assistance to IDPs and host communities in the three North Eastern states of Yobe, Adamawa and Borno. From late 2015 until now, the Danish Demining Group (DDG) has been scaling up its programme of Risk Education and in 2017 only, more than 280,000 individuals benefitted from training sessions.
- In areas where conflict is not present anymore, DDG plans to start Non-technical Survey activities for which an experienced Geographic Information System (GIS) specialist is sought to establish a mine action (IMSMA) database as well as overview information management processes within DDG Nigeria.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Support the project team in preparing technical specifications of the appropriate hardware and software required to create the required GIS database.
- Provide mapping support for supplementary products developed by the field assessment and survey teams.
- Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions for assessments and Non-Technical Surveys for DRC/DDG Nigeria. This responsibility may include training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis, and ad hoc mapping support upon request.
- Organize and supervise GIS field missions.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
- Any other duties assigned by the line manager.
- Coordinate with the project team to recommend a GIS system including the themes and layers to be used.
- Create the GIS database including reference datasets and layers to reflect key information from KAP surveys, need assessments, Non-Technical and Technical Surveys and produce printable maps reflecting the different layers of information.
- Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of DRC/DDG field operations and other concerned partners.
- Support DRC/DDG field teams to conceptualize methodologies for collecting data in the field according to need.
- Maintain, update and expand DRC/DDG GIS system from data analysis, dissemination and reporting and map/factsheet production.
- To be successful in this role, we expect you to have strong technical GIS knowledgen and experience, basic to intermediary knowledge of mine action information management requirements, skills and capacity to work independently, be pragmatical but also innovative, with creative thinking backed by strong analytical skills.
- You need to have political and cultural sensitivity, as well as diplomatic, tactful and flexible intepersonal style.
- All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Degree in Geography/GIS and/or related discipline
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- High-level autonomy and willingness to spend time in DRC/DDG field locations;
- Fluency in English
- A minimum 2 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in humanitarian context;
- Preference will be given to candidates with one or more of the followings: knowledge of Humanitarian Mine Action and Community Safety;
- Considerable experience analyzing complex data;
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and In Design;
- Experience in the design and use of data analysis algorithms, photogrammetry, and data products
- Previous experience with mobile data collection (ODK, ONA, KOBO);
- Knowledge of /experience in Nigeria is considered an asset
- Familiarity with IMSMA system
- Knowledge of other statistical programming languages and packages;
- Contract length: 12 months, with possibility of extension based on funding
- Level: NM-G
- Designation of Duty Station: uaccompanied / Non-family Duty
- Start date: 16 July 2018
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 10th July, 2018.