Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research & Data Science Specialist
Location: Abuja with travel to program offices in Nigeria and work locations
Reports to: Senior Manager, Strategic Communications & Knowledge Management
- The Research & Data Science Specialist will support the development of the data infrastructure at DAI Nigeria. Drawing on expertise in programming and database systems, he/she will support the development of a robust, integrated data infrastructure for the company. The Specialist will design reporting tools and provide structured analyses to ensure team members have the management reporting data, corporate strategy data, web analytic data and operational insights they need to make business decisions.
- In line with the knowledge management & communications strategy, he/she will set up and maintain systems that produce high-quality data, synthesize data and generate insights for decision making to improve knowledge management, corporate communication, business development and program delivery. She/he will also be responsible for conducting high quality research, and technical writing deliverables. He/She will be part of a multidisciplinary team that produces high impact deliverables such as online resource databases, information dashboards, websites, research, case studies, discourse events, learning sessions, newsletters, and other media products that are relevant for employees, project teams, and clients.
- Responsibilities will include the design and maintenance of data warehouses, dashboards, and reporting tools for operational and business impact data.
- Will work with team members to understand their analytical needs, document, and prioritize requirements, and to help them effectively use data and analytical tools developed.
- He/She will develop innovative data solutions, and information processes for the company based on proficiency with data mining, data analysis, machine learning and data infrastructures.
- Write extract, transform and loads (ETL) to automate routine data collection and reporting processes using a variety of traditional and distributed data systems.
- Technology: support the establishment of technology to manage programme and corporate knowledge such as a Project Resource Center and other relevant new technology that will optimize data analysis across multiple themes.
- Website Management: manage routine content updates for the DAI website in collaboration with the Nigeria SCKM team and Corporate Communications.
- Develop end-user documentation and provide hands-on training to team members to use existing and future data systems.
- Discourse Events: support the conceptualization, planning, management, and execution of successful virtual events including roundtables, seminars/webinars, workshops, conferences, and peer learning sessions.
Corporate Services Responsibilities:
- Strategy: support the development of strategies and work plans including the development of digital strategies as part of the broader KM strategy of the unit.
- Knowledge Products: work with the team to conceptualize and identify themes to frame the generation of products such as but not limited to analytical reviews, evidence-based opinion pieces, annual reports, success stories, case studies, resources, guides and toolkits.
- Coordination: ensure a high degree of technical accuracy, quality and ethical standards assemble external talent, supervise and provide strategic direction for associates, sub-contractors and short-term consultants in charge of web and graphic design, photography, videography, digital marketing and technical writing. Develop appropriate Terms of Reference, manage input scheduling, and review deliverables.
- Learning: develop end-user documentation and provide hands-on training to team members to use existing and future data systems, engage partners and learning champions to lead the coordination of learning activities.
- Branding: contribute to the DAI brand and communications resources such as report templates, slide decks, icons.
- External & Internal Communications: contribute to internal & external newsletter development and dissemination to diverse audiences within and outside the company.
Programme Delivery Responsibilities:
- Billable Work: undertake billable project work in proven areas of expertise for various clients including external clients, projects and DAI Business units.
- Technical Oversight: design and deploy innovative, user-centered digital tools and provide oversight for knowledge management technology activities with DAI-implemented programs in Nigeria. Provide coherent and consistent technical guidance in knowledge management, technology and data analytics.
Business Development Responsibilities:
- Develop Standardized BD collateral: contribute to proposal development by participating in incubators and designing digital strategies that integrate new opportunities, technology partners, and emerging digital tools.
Any other duties as specified by line manager.
Qualifications And Person Specifications:
- Master’s degree in a Humanity or Pure Science course such as mass communications, literature, law, or statistics, mathematics, computer science, physics – from a top university.
- 9 years’ experience with steadily increasing responsibility in research, big data analytics, technical or creative writing, communications, knowledge management roles.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills are essential, excellent oral and written communication skills, must possess the ability to deliver technically rigorous documents.
- Certification in big data analytics and/or data modelling is a plus. For example, specific technology company certifications (Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, Cloudera) including Certified Data Management Professional, Hadoop Certification, Cloudera Certified Professional Data Engineer, Google Cloud Certified Professional Data Engineer certificate.
- Ability to write strong, maintainable code is a plus. Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, Linux, C++, Java, SQL, Unix, and capacity to build efficient data structures, pipelines, internal tools and algorithms for machine learning applications.
- Robust strategic thinking competencies and the ability to conceptualize bespoke projects that convert data into value and drive them from idea to execution.
- A willingness to apply unique perspectives to deploying technology as a KM solution
- A curious, creative & collaborative mindset, attention to detail, problem-solving attitude, an ability to work under pressure, adhere to tight deadlines & deliver high-quality work.
- Professionalism, cross-cultural competence, comfortable engaging in a global firm, a proven ability to work across multiple business functions and proficient at managing stakeholders.
- Demonstrated long term commitment to a career in international aid/development sector.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 17th March, 2021.