Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: System Strengthening/EMIS Officer
Location: Sokoto State.
- The Strengthening/EMIS Officer will provide technical assistance on education information management systems project-wide and will be responsible for overseeing policy-related activities
- This position is based in Sokoto, Nigeria, and will report to the Sokoto State Team Leader.
- The Northern Education Initiative Plus invites application from suitably qualified candidates for the post of system Strengthening/EMIS Officer in its Sokoto Office
- The System Strengthening/EMIS Officer is responsible for establishing and managing all system strengthening/EMIS related activities through tracking Project progress, results, indicators and targets
- The position requires all system strengthening/EMIS activities to meet program mandates as well as track progress.
The System Strengthening/EMIS Officer is expected to:
- Work with FMOE, SMOEs, UBEC, NMEC, SUBEB, SAME, MORA to provide support to sustain existing policy initiatives and facilitate development and implementation of new policies, particularly in the areas of systems, access, reading instruction, assessment, and accountability;
- Facilitate policy review meetings with regard to reading and access to track progress in implementing new policies, identify corrective actions to speed implementation, and develop tools to assess impact;
- Improve the capacity of government education officials to develop leadership, managerial, and supervisory skills to effectively implement policies and regulations with regard to access and reading;
- Provide coaching on various issues including data analysis and evidence-based decision making, monitoring, and staff mentoring;
- Support dissemination of new policies and opportunities for bottom-up feedback at all levels through state-level workshops involving government education officials; community meetings; IT; paper publications; and ongoing media campaigns
- Support the development of a common web-based EMIS using existing open source software that can be customized by state and LGEAs to meet unique information needs;
- Provide ongoing technical support to ministries, departments, and agencies staff to review progress, “trouble shoot” problems, and support use of EMIS data.
- Provide support for inter-state training for SMOE, SUBEB planners, analysts, and policy makers focusing on gathering, analyzing and using data from the EMIS, assessments, evaluations and research to make decisions and plan education improvement initiatives;
- Support planners and policy makers to use data for quality decision-making;
- Provide assistance in setting up systems to gather data for access to quality education at the state level.
- Facilitate a process with state governments and other stakeholders to map and review existing education policy frameworks, especially around systems, access, reading instruction and assessment.
- The applicant for the position must possess at least a Bachelors Degree in Statistics or related fields.
Skills and Experience
The applicant should possess:
- At least 5 years of experience in a leadership position responsible for developing policy frameworks, preferably in the field of education
- Demonstrate experience working with government agencies, actors, and other stakeholders at the national and state levels.
- Demonstrate expertise in policy mapping.
- Demonstrate capacity to lead workshops, trainings, and strategic planning sessions.
- Experience in data management skills.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Statistics or related field.
- Fluency in English and language of environment
- Familiarity with the cultural norms and values of target communities
- At least 8 years or 5 years working experience with international development organizations on EMIS or in an international development context for Bachelor degree or Master Degree Holder respectively;
- Experience in data collection procedures, systems design, systems analysis, and information systems project management;
- Competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s to: [email protected]
Application Deadline 20th October, 2018.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- There is no cost attached to the interview, invited applicants are to take responsibilities.
- EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment.