The Federal Polytechnic Nekede – Established in 1978 as the College of Technology Owerri changed to The Polytechnic Nekede, in 1987 further renamed Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri, by the Federal Polytechnic Act (Amendment) Decree No. 5 of 1993. Its programmes are duly accredited by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the below position of the Federal Polytechnic Nekede which will become vacant on September 10th, 2018:
Job Title: Rector
- The Rector is the Chief Academic Administrative and Accounting Officer of the Polytechnic,
- He/She has power to exercise general authority over both staff and students, and
- He/she is also responsible for discipline in the Polytechnic, subject to the general control of the Governing Council.
- In addition to proven Management and leadership experience, the successful candidate must have demonstrable passion for academic endeavour and to be credible to the Polytechnic.
Qualifications and Qualities
The candidate for the post is expected to possess the following academic qualifications and personal qualities:
- Must have a Master’s or a Doctorate degree from a recognized educational Institution in any of the disciplines offered in the Polytechnic, with a minimum of fifteen (15) years, of professional and academic experience, at least five of which must have been gained in a Polytechnic.
- Must be a Chief Lecturer with not less than five (5) years experience on the rank from the Polytechnic Sector.
- Must not be more than 60 years of age at the time of assumption of office as Rector.
- Must demonstrate evidence of strong academic and administrative leadership, initiative and creativity in policy formulation, good human relations and positive managerial attributes.
- Must provide evidence of membership of reputable professional body/bodies in Nigeria.
- Must provide evidence of scholarly publications reputable journals as well as presentation of invited papers at educational conference, seminars and/or workshops,
- Must be able to attract research grants and development facilities to the Polytechnic.
- Must be a person with initiative and vision with capacity to sustain the accelerated pace of development of the Polytechnic, even under financial and other challenging constraints.
- Must be a fair-minded and dynamic individual with impeccable reputation.
- Must be a person who is not likely to pursue racial, ethnic, gender, political, religious or other sectional interest,
- Must be morally sound, or impeccable character and free from financial embarrassment.
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health (with evidence from a government hospital).
- Must be proficient in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
Terms of Appointment/Conditions of Service
- The appointment is for a term of four (4) years in the first instance and renewable, subject to satisfactory performance for another term of four (4) years and no more.
- The salary is consolidated and the appointee shall enjoy other benefits of office as may be approved from time to time by the Federal Government.
Application Closing Date
9th May, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications attaching twenty (20) typewritten copies of their Curriculum Vitae giving the details in the following order:
- Full Names (Surname first and underlined)
- Date and place of birth
- State of Origin and Local Government Area
- Nationality and how acquired
- Marital Status
- Number and ages of children
- Current postal address including telephone number and e-mail address
- Educational Institutions attended with dates
- Academic and Professional qualifications obtained with dates
- Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Honours and Distinctions (if any)
- Academic/scholarly publications
- Conference attended and papers presented with dates.
- Previous Employer(s) and Post(s) held with dates.
- Present Employment including status. Salary duties and any other relevant experience.
- Statement of own Vision for th Polytechnic (20 Copies).
- Other activities outside current employment
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees (Employer, Educatioral and Personal), who are to forward confidential report directly to “The Registrar/Secretary to Council, Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri, Imo State”. Such referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claims to high academic and managerial capabilities as well as to the candidate’s notable uprightness.
All Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked “Application or the Post of Rector” at the top left hand corner addressed to: The Registrar, Federal Polytechnic Nekede, P.M.B. 1036, Owerri, Imo State. Note
- Applicants will be required to produce originals of their certificates and other relevant credentials if invited for interview, photocopies will not be accepted.
- Applicants must also be ready to support every claim with documentary evidence.