GOALPrime Organization Nigeria (GPON) is a policy-driven humanitarian, non-governmental organization that implements her program through a revitalized partnership. It is a non-profit organization with a mandate of making the lives of vulnerable people better, those affected by disaster or crisis. GPON is presently operating in the Northeastern regional part of Nigeria where we have reached over 100,000 lives with relief materials, child protection services. GBV mitigation services, livelihood skill-building, health services, and Education support services. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Duration: 6 Months (renewable)
Dimensions of the Role
- Implementation of financial management processes, protocols, and systems.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Accounting software operations and reporting:
- Prepare payment, journal, and receipt vouchers using the corporate accounting software – QuickBook.
- Support with the clearing of all open items.
- Support the monthly QuickBooks closure processes.
- Following up with offices and staff as regards the dashboard financial deadline requirements
- Print the monthly QuickBooks reports for signing and appropriate filing.
- Ensure that the QuickBooks balances of the advances account agree with the subledger balances.
- Contribute to the monthly financial report.
- Ensure that transactions are complete and accurate with self-explanatory and understandable descriptions.
- Maintain good filing for all vouchers in a limited access area to ensure easy retrieval.
- Support in ensuring all documents are scanned and properly stored on Cloud
- Maintain a record of vouchers borrowed by staff and ensure that they are returned and filed appropriately.
- Support program staff in making payments to participants during activities implementation.
Internal Financial Controls & Payments:
- Ensure that the documentation for payment is acceptable and accurate with all arithmetic calculations being correct.
- Ensure all cheques are prepared in a way that ensures accuracy and validation for payments
- Issue cheques as per weekly payment list; exception should be approved by CFM.
- Maintain cash books, including providing updates to Finance Finance Officer to prevent negative cash and bank balance.
- Release cheques to the right payee and ensure the appropriate receipts are issued and filed.
- Approved payment requests should be processed within three days of receipt.
- Prepare the Withholding tax and VAT schedule where relevant before payment is done.
- Cancel (stamped PAID) all vouchers (payment, journal, and receipt) and their supporting documents to forestall re-use.
- Perform any other duties as specified by your supervisor(s).
- Prepare and maintain the sub-ledger for all advances (travel, purchase, etc.).
- Ensure timely liquidation of staff advances should not exceed seven days after travel arrival
- Should ensure that more than one advance is given to staff at a time.
- Make available Bi-weekly to the Finance Officer a list of all un-liquidated advances and support with the follow-up of these advances.
Assist in the Administration of Staff Payroll:
- Prepare the withholding tax deductions report and complete and submit monthly Statutory PAYE forms to relevant Government Organizations.
- Reconciles payment of NHF with Federal mortgage bank of Nigeria
- Assist in the posting of all prepaid staff benefits on Quickbook.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree University Degree in Accounting or relevant professional qualifications equivalent.
- At least 3 years experience in a similar role.
- A B.Sc or HND in Financial Accounting and related Financial / Business Administration courses.
- At least 2 years of practical work experience in managing financial and administrative systems for donor-funded projects.
- A minimum of 2-year experience in grant financial management with donor-funded projects in Nigeria.
- Strong communication skills: oral and written.
- Ability to carry strenuous office duties of lifting heavy items.
- Familiar with international donors.
- Experience in the use of QuickBooks (Added advantage)
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
Application Deadline: 28th July, 2023.