The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Technical Assistant
Ref. No: 3858973193
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: The Education Officer
Job Type: Full time
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the programme portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Monitor and review the overall commodity movements such as project deliveries, storage, transport and distribution at the site and verify if the amounts received, distributed and losses have been properly recorded.
- Supervise the distribution of project supplies at the project sites and ensure proper distribution of entitlements and verify appropriate entitlements are distributed to beneficiaries
- Review document and processes which authorize distribution. Ensure that an approved procedure is followed in the registration and selection of beneficiaries and ensures that distribution list is accurately consolidated
- Ensure timely supply of teaching learning and recreational materials in the schools
- Support teachers and children to initiate activities in learning centres that meet the psycho-social needs of the displaced children and teachers.
- In consultation with the Project officer and teachers facilitate the running of sports/recreational and psycho-social activities in learning centres
- Lead in mobilization and sensitization of community members on importance of education in collaboration with Parent Teachers Association, local administration and the Ministry of education.
- Carry out registration of learners in established communities and learning spaces in collaboration with local leaders, teachers and Parent Teachers Association.
- Ensure schools and learning spaces NRC is working are safe for children. Protect children and all the project beneficiaries against any form of exploitation
- Ensure Complains response mechanism is in place in schools and persons of concern receive feedback.
- At least 1 year experience in similar positions
- Education degree or similar field
- Minimum of 2 years of teaching experience
- Experience in budget management
- Experience working with community at grass root level
- Experience working in Ministry of Education system is preferred
- High level English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access)
- Knowledge of the context in North East Nigeria
- Knowledge in Community Mobilization or related field.
- Knowledge of the Local languages is an advantage.
- Education Title: Bachelors’ degree or equivalent.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: August 2018
- Duration: 7 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions (Grade Level 4 Step 1)
- Duty stations: Maiduguri, Borno State – North East Nigeria with 30% frequent travels. Travel outside duty stations is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected.
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th July, 2018.
Job Title: Consultant – Evaluation of NRC Nigeria Livelihood & Food Security in North East, Nigeria
Ref. nr.: 3861408042
Location: North East, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
Duration of the Consultancy: From July to October, 2018.
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja
- NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The LFS response strategy of NRC aims to address both acute and chronic food and nutrition challenges faced by IDPs, returnees, and host community households. Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) response seeks to meet the immediate food and nutrition needs of displaced people whilst supporting capacity building for improved access to livelihoods to address the chronic food insecurity, stemming from low purchasing and production capacity
- Through coordination with relevant livelihoods and food sector partners through the Food Sector Working Group (FS WG), as well as the Livelihoods and Early Recovery Sector (L&ERS), NRC activities strive to consolidate the progress made since 2015 to expand to accessible and new and under-served areas
- Livelihoods and food security interventions are now expanding into areas within the three agricultural zones of Borno state: Southern Borno, Central Borno, and Northern Borno.
Purpose of Evaluation
- The results of the evaluation will help to ascertain whether we are doing the right things to achieve maximum results; improve the results of our programmes and generate substantial learning; determine to what extent we are contributing to change in our beneficiaries and to use evaluation findings to immediately bring about changes and improvements in practice
- The evaluation will identify key challenges, successes, best practice and lessons learnt, to inform future LFS interventions.
- Advanced University Degree or equivalent in Humanitarian/Development Studies, Social Sciences, Statistics or other fields related to the provision of humanitarian assistance in Food security and livelihood;
- At least 7-10 years of relevant experience and proven expertise in the humanitarian sector with at least five years in evaluation;
- Significant experience in assessment, data analysis, research and/or evaluation – including prior experience in project and programme reviews and evaluations;
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills;
- Knowledge of the current literature/practice on displacement-related protection and livelihoods programming. Familiarity with Nigeria/West Africa emergency response preferred;
- Ability to work independently and achieve quality results with limited supervision;
- Strong analytical, synthesis, and writing skills;
- Excellent command in written and spoken English;
- Experience of designing qualitative data collection methods and of managing participatory and learning focused evaluations;
- Excellent team working and communication skills, flexibility and good organization skills.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications (Bids) including the following below documents to: [email protected] The subject line of your mail must read “Application for conducting LFS program evaluation for NRC in Nigeria”.
- Proposal including, outline of evaluation framework and methods, including comments on the TOR, proposed time frame and work plan (bids over 6 pages will be automatically excluded).
- Cover letter clearly summarizing experience as it pertains to this assignment and three professional references (max 1 page);
- Proposed evaluation budget clearly showing costs categories, units and explanations;
- CV’s and evidence of past evaluations for each team member;
- At least one example of a similar evaluation where the consultant has had the leading role.
Application Deadline 13th July, 2018.