Posted on :
22 Jun, 2016
22 Jun, 2016
The Population Council is an international, non-profit, non-governmental institution that seeks to improve the well-being and reproductive health of current and future generations around the world and help achieve a humane, equitable and sustainable balance between people and resources.
Population Council Nigeria is seeking a highly skilled Qualitative Researcher to provide qualitative research support on key activities for this study.
Job Title: Qualitative Research Analyst
Purpose of the consultancy
Under this phase, the consultant will work in conjunction with the Population Council team to design, plan, and coordinate the overall work of the project. Translate study objectives into thoughtful research plans; provide advice as well as tactical guidance to teams; support delivery across all aspects of the project lifecycle, from instrument finalization and analysis to deliverable development and presentation; moderate qualitative research across a broad range of methods; provide methodology expertise, particularly in qualitative research; synthesize research to identify key themes, trends, and insights; helping keep our programme at the cutting edge of research innovation.
Specific tasks to be performed by the consultant
The consultant will support the project team to develop a detailed work plan that will include undertaking at least the following tasks:
• Review secondary literature on medicalisation of FGMC in Nigeria as well as identify information gaps.
• Facilitate data collection training and monitor the research processes in coordination with the Program Manager
• Develop analysis plan, and oversee data processing and analysis
• Draft and present report of findings
• Maintain close communication with the Program Manager to ensure program goals are being met, and that project challenges are promptly addressed.
• Review and refine the research protocol
• Contribute to the finalization of a robust and cost-effective research strategy
• Coordinate and ensure harmony of the design of the qualitative research study
• Refine data capture tools, and support the pilot and implementation of the tools /instruments.
• Refine plan for the qualitative methods /data collection training
Outcomes of the Consultancy:
• Clear implementation plan/research strategy
• Refined Study/data capture tools
• Field work report
• Data processing/analysis plan
• Data analysis report & data sets
• Training curriculum, strategy and presentations
• List of research assistants trained and attendance records
• Complete and verified tools /instruments
• Validated transcriptions
Period of performance: August 2016 to February 2017
Level of Effort: not to exceed a total of 40 days
Lines of communication:
The consultant will report to and work closely with the Program Manager. Additionally, the consultant will collaborate with relevant staff from the programme as necessary and its partners.
This is an on-site assignment that will require travel within Nigeria. The costs related to travel, as well as logistics incurred during the contract will be covered by the Population Council.
• Educated to Masters level in relevant discipline (e.g. Public Health, Social / Behavioral Sciences, Policy Research)
• Educated to doctoral level
• Evidence of professional CPD
• Strong background in planning
• Proven research experience in international projects
• Experience in the design, proposal writing, and/or management of research programmes
• Experience of conducting qualitative research in African settings
• Experience of designing and implementing training involving adults Demonstrate ability to analyse complex issues to facilitate decision making and action steps for improvement activities
• Experience of writing scientific documents such as reports, guidelines and peer reviewed papers
• Experience of writing and submitting ethical applications for rigorous studies
• Understanding of health research principles and terminology
• Understanding of the challenges of conducting research programmes in mid and low income countries
• Knowledge of Reproductive health, FGMC and it’s theoretical underpinnings
• Qualitative research skills
• Excellent communication, team working, relationship and organisational skills
• Ability to write reports for a variety of audiences
• Ability to synthesize information and review literature
• Qualitative software skills (NVivo, Atlas.ti or equivalent)
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively with project members in various locations, including remotely writing and revising documents
• Ability to integrate different experiences, methodologies, and approaches from a diverse range of stakeholders, organisations, and technical experts from multiple sectors
• Ability and commitment to work collaboratively to achieve results
• Self-directing and able to use own initiative to make decisions and identify solutions to problems not previously experienced.
• Travel within Nigeria for short periods as required to conduct data collection training and fieldwork
Application should include:
• An updated copy of CV
• Work plan
• A sample of relevant work they have authored
• Contact details of 2 references
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below
Application Deadline: Friday, July 5, 2016.