Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant positions below:
Job Title: Project Managers
Location: Jigawa and Lagos
- The Project Managers, Jigawa and Lagos will provide leadership and managerial oversight for the administrative, programmatic, technical, research and operational aspects of the programme in Jigawa and Lagos state.
- S/he will oversee the day-to-day implementation of the programme and will be accountable for the effective financial and operational management including planning project activities, estimate time and financial commitments.
- The Project Manager(s) is accountable for delivering State level activities in Jigawa or Lagos to the agreed quality standards and is responsible to seek and coordinate input as appropriate from the technical teams, to ensure the development and adherence to technical program quality standards, monitoring and evaluation systems, donor and SCI regulations.
- S/he will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on the project’s progress in relation to timely delivery, outputs actual spend, quality and results as compared to the original plans and the project proposal. S/he will manage issues and risk and make recommendations on how to adjust or reallocate resources to accommodate changes and respond to challenges.
- S/he will also be responsible for effective stakeholder relationship management, including developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the donor, government and partner agencies, operating in the State and federal level
Scope Of Role:
- Reports to: Chief Of Party
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 4
- Budget responsibility: Yes
- Overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the programme in Jigawa or Lagos State.
- Attract and maintain strong working relationship with partners and stakeholders.
- Ensure state level representation by the programme on behalf of Save the Children, builds trust and influence with Government and other key stakeholders, highlighting where effective practise can positively influence policy.
- Lead the development of high quality programming, annual plans and budgeting processes for the programme, as and when necessary.
- Ensure that an effective monitoring system is in place in the programme state for achieving agreed targets and sound financial management, as well as ensuring that value for money can be effectively demonstrated to the donor.
- Oversee the state programme’s operational and analytical research, coordinate the dissemination of results and ensure that research informs advocacy.
- Ensure that other technical sectors in the state (e.g. Nutrition, Advocacy) are coordinated, integrated and support each other to optimise the project purposes and objectives.
- Lead on the submission of the state quarterly and annual reports and submission of deliverables.
- Inspire, lead and motivate the state programme team to deliver project objectives, including technical advisors and consultants, and the finance and admin staff working on the project.
- Ensure the project and its team comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
Program Management and Implementation:
- In collaboration with the chief of party , ensure the adequate planning , monitoring and reporting as well as competence for the effective scale up of the interventions to meet established programmatic objectives and goals
- Promote quality, efficiency, integrity and learning throughout programme duration
- Remain up to date on good practices recommended in the Global action plan for prevention and pneumonia (GAPPD) as well as good practices of public health principles.
- Identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner and make appropriate program adjustments and solutions to mitigate the likelihood of re-occurring similar risks and its impact on the project outcome
- Ensure effective implementation of systems that adequately support the programmatic and operational need of the various thematic areas to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and aligned with the project proposal and pneumonia strategic vision..
- Provide strategic oversight of program tasks and activities , including participating in the budget development discussions.
- Conduct monitoring visits to oversee the successful implementation of project workplans for better programtic results to ensure shifting the needle of pneumonia trajectory; .
- Work closely with the Programme MEAL Team the CO MEAL Team to develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans and with managers of technical components to ensure technical program objectives are met.
- Ensure compliance with all grant provisions, and timely fulfilment of the State programmatic reporting requirements.
- Oversee the coordinated planning (of activities and resources) and implementation of the programme operations in line with the with the state of the at strategies, technical standard , and applicable donor rules and regulations. support the development of Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and procurement plan.
- Oversee timely expenditure of approved state budgets, avoiding both under spending and overspending on grant line items.
Human Resources Management and Administration:
- Mentor and coach the direct reports to help gain satisfactory level of performance to effectively accomplish their roles and responsibility
- Oversee work planning, performance management and strategic communications
- Supervise assigned advisors: maintain updated job descriptions for each position, conduct annual performance evaluations, identify staff skills development needs.
- See that all staff and partners are aware of and understand SCI policies and procedures; take appropriate disciplinary measures as needed.
- Ensure all administrative procedures are followed, such as those regarding vehicle use and procurement; ensure logistics/administrative staff provides sufficient and timely support to the team.
Representation and Leadership:
- Ensure that thematic leads is represented in all relevant coordination meetings and follow up with them to ensure that the minutes of these meetings or relevant information is shared with the concerned staff
- Serve as the key liaison with the government, other stakeholders implementing child health initiatives.
- Maintain good working relationships with government officials.
- Represent SC and maintain good working relationships among the international and local NGO community, among community leadership structures and community-based organizations, and to visiting donor teams and other key contacts.
- Develop and communicate the reporting calendar based on the project reporting requirement
- Review and compile reports from various thematic leads to ensure there accuracy and relevance before sharing it with chief of party
- Any other tasks assigned by the Chief of party.
Skills/Behaviors: (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Advanced degree preferably in management or Business administration.
- At least 5 years of experience in programme management and administration, financial management, award contractual compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs via specific funding streams. Five (5) of these years should be in child health and public health programs of similar complexity.
- Experience in project Cycle management and preferable past experience in managing a multimillion complex project
- Past of experience in managing a programme that employs Global Action Plan for Pneumonia prevention and Diarrhea (GAPPD) is desirable
- Proven ability to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy
- Proven leadership and demonstrated managerial experience in management , resources’ management, people’s management as well as financial management
- Proven track records of effectively managing programmatic and financial reporting requirement
- experience of managing projects.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain string relationships with relevant line ministries , donors and key actors in the field of child health.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully fulfilling performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Strong understanding of key principles of advocacy, monitoring and evaluation, child participation and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate, mentor and direct staff while creating a positive team environment.
- Sound understanding of different methodologies of M&E and operational research and experience in developing integrated M&E and Learning systems;
- Ability to present results and products to the donor and other key stakeholders.
- Commitment to the values, missions, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Works well with teams
- Conscious of child protection issues
- Non-discriminatory and gender sensitive
- Willingness to work in remote, rural locations
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd August, 2018