Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 38 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter. Currently present in Nigeria since 2016, SI carries out emergency / post-emergency programs in WASH sector in North East region. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Start date: Projected contract duration is 6 Months – with possible extension.
- The accountant supports the Finance Coordinator/Deputy in processing SI’s accounting operations on a mission.
- He/she is one of those charged with ensuring that SI rules and procedures regarding commitments, accountancy, cash management and expenses are followed at the bases level as well as at the coordination level.
- He/she is to manage and update the bank/cash books and Saga consolidation of the whole mission.
- He/she is to provide support to Finance Coordinator/Deputy in internal and external audit of the mission.
- He/she is the one to verify the accounting vouchers with supporting documentations and centralization of the archives system on own cloud of the mission.
- He/she offers administrative support to bases on all matters relating to accountancy and providing accounting analysis.
- Providing specific need-based training to the administrative teams involved as user of SAGA.
- Managing cashier, finance assistant as line manager at coordination.
Financial, Accounting, and Budgetary Management:
- Carry out preliminary budgetary controls e.g. allocation check, ensuring standard description of expense, SAGA parameters and to be forwarded to the administrator and regularised.
Management of the Mission’s Accounting:
- Ensure that lease contract sums due are paid and distribute the burden of costs
- Check with the HR department that the personnel database is complete and up-to-date
- Allocate invoices for expenses from/for other missions (inter-mission expenses)
- Centralize the accounting for different bases within SAGA
- Verify the accounting for the different bases (description, accounting codes, analytical codes, monthly exchange rate)
- Carry out a systematic monthly check of advances from each cash box (matched and unmatched)
- Carry out transaction matching at a mission level
- Verify vouchers and other accounting documents to be sent to the headquarters every 6 months.
- Supervise the semi-annual analytic closure and the annual accounting closure with the administrative team, under the supervision of the administrative coordinator (expenditure incurred, analytical and budgetary allocation, leave balances, donations in kind, equipment assets, etc.)
- Carry out physical checks of supporting documents received from the bases
- Check cash box inventories and bank reconciliations for each Balzac
- Ensure that the monthly accounting documents are compiled and sent to the headquarters: accounting board, DATA salary, cash box inventories, bank reconciliations, HOMERE backup)
- Carry out the required accounting changes if necessary (reallocations, etc.)
- Integrate the exchange rates sent by the headquarters into SAGA every month
- Monitor the monthly allocation of Paris costs incurred by the headquarters within SAGA
- Send SAGA to bases following monthly integration at the headquarters
- Monitor voucher creation at bases level and the monthly return of base documents to the coordinating level
Administrative HR Management:
- Verify and validate monthly payment operations (Balzac XX)
- Ensure that taxes are paid to the authorities.
Administrative management of the mission:
- Ensure physical and IT archiving, as well as securing accounting documents
- Conduct the quarterly mailing of accounting archives to headquarters after internal inspection.
Reporting / Communication:
- In conjunction with the Finance Coordinator or his/her deputy, monitor whether accounting documents are consistent with interim and final financial reports
- Ensure that declarations and payments of taxes and contributions are made to the relevant organizations
- Prepare and assist with audits or possible inspections.
- Education: B.Sc. in Accounting, Business Administration, or Finance related courses
- At least of 3 years professional experience in similar position in finance and accounting role with an INGO
- Strong experience in budget management
- Knowledge of finance related laws, policies and donor procedures
- Knowledge of Saga is strongly appreciated
- Microsoft software practice, sound excel skills
- Dynamic, organised, methodical, team player, sound communication skills
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa is a plus
- Reliable, honest, resistance to stress, capacity to delegate and manage, initiative and autonomy, capacity to prioritize tasks, ability to work under tight deadlines, etc.
What We Offer
- Salary + Transport, Leave & housing allowance + social benefits (medical coverage, 24 days of annual leaves per year, compassionate leaves, public holidays as announced by government, festive bonus, Life insurance – covering death and permanent disability), etc.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Application Deadline: 30th November, 2023.
- When link opens, select Accountant, fill the form, and attach your CV and motivation letter.
- The CV attached must be named with your first name and surname.
- Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the application closing date.