Posted on :
16 May, 2011
16 May, 2011
SENIOR GENDER SPECIALIST, NORTHERN NIGERIA
I. TECHNOSERVE BACKGROUND
TechnoServe is an international, non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968. We believe in the power of poor people to claim a better life for themselves, their famlies and their communities if they are presented with the right skills, tools and information. We work with farmers and entrepreneurs in 25 countries around the world to provide information, training and market access.
Much of our work is in agriculture, enhancing farm productivity and commodity quality and addressing gaps in processing and other agribusiness capacities. TechnoServe also help entrepreneurs get their businesses off the ground through leadership mentoring networks, access to capital and development of sustainable business services such as accounting, finance, marketing andhuman resource management.
Since registering as a Nigerian nonprofit organization in 2010, TechnoServe Nigeria has engaged in collaboration with key public and private partners to build a common vision for the future of agriculture in Nigeria. We have worked across several sectors including cocoa, poultry and feed grains, and have executed projects for Adamawa State, Unilever and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
II. PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
TechnoServe Nigeria is currently pursuing funding from a large European institutional donor to design and implement a six-year market development program, which will create enhanced employment opportunities for the poor in Northern Nigeria.
The program will be based on the Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) methodology and will increase employment and improve productivity in selected agricultural market systems in Northern Nigeria. This will be accomplished by improving market access for poor producers, increasing economic activity and trade, creating jobs and raising the incomes of poor people, particularly women and adolescent girls, and those from excluded and vulnerable groups in rural Northern Nigeria.
The program will provide intensive support to a range of market functions and value chains in selected sectors, support entrepreneurship development and enterprise innovation, stimulate private sector provision of services and promote innovative and inclusive business models with the potential to reach a large number of low-income people. As it is expected that at least 50% of the beneficiaries of the program will be women, the successful development and implementation of the gender dimension will constitute a major objective of the program.
III. POSITION DESCRIPTION
It is expected that the program will deliver the following results:
1. At least 500,000 poor people in Northern Nigeria, 50% women, will see their incomes raised by at least 50%.
2. At least £100m of additional public and private investment will be stimulated in support of the agriculture sector.
In order to reach the program’s ambitious gender target, the Senior Gender Specialist will:
• Conduct a robust gender analysis of socio-cultural and economic gender constraints facing women within the target beneficiary population; recommend gender initiatives needed to meet program targets for women’s participation.
• Establish and grow relationships with TechnoServe gender thought partners in Nigeria.
• Work with TechnoServe staff and thought partners to ensure that gender considerations are fully integrated into the program design, including staffing, participant recruitment, program activities and M&E.
• Design and implement program gender strategy, including management of women-focused special initiatives, as required.
• Design and conduct gender sensitization training for TechnoServe staff, implementation partners and beneficiaries.
• Conduct periodic program gender evaluations; recommend and implement course corrections, as necessary.
• Monitor program performance and contribute content for internal and external reporting.
• Design and conduct robust gender impact evaluation at the close of the program.
IV. REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Advanced degree in gender studies, sociology, anthropology or related field
• Minimum of 5 years experience in best practice gender integration in economic development
• Preferably a recognized gender expert in the field, with first-hand knowledge of gender priorities of leading donor agencies and/or other key institutions
• Practical field-based development/nonprofit sector experience essential
• Experience in design and implementation of M4P programs preferred
• Native English speaker, Hausa a plus.
• Proven ability to operate effectively in a multi-cultural environment
• Excellent communications skills, written and verbal
• Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work through implementing partners
• Strong writing, Excel and PowerPoint presentation skills
Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary history and three professional references to: [email protected]. Please place, “Senior Gender Specialist” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only those individuals identified as “short-listed candidates” will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.