The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: UNHAS Aviation Assistant (G5 – Pax Handling)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Requisition ID: 154027
Job type: Short Term-SC WFP
Duration: The contract is 12 months on a Fixed Term level, with possibility of renewal.
- These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) or Field Offices (FOs) and report to the Aviation Officer, or the designate.
- Job holders typically specialise in either air transport or air movement, and at this level they work under minimal supervision taking responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices.
- Job holders are able to recommend straightforward courses of action to staff, and may allocate tasks and support other staff.
- To perform a range of coordination and administrative activities that contribute to the safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
Key Responsibilities (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive):
- Perform operational coordination and administration of air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations.
- Liaise with airport officials and other local authorities in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorisations required for air operations.
- Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight, in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights, escalating issues to a supervisor.
- Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place and in compliance with established conditions.
- Research, collate and report on aviation related information, to enable decision-making and facilitate air transportation planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
- Update and maintain relevant databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised, accessible to others, and supports reporting requirements.
- Respond to client queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
- Liaise with internal counterparts in order to carry out duties successfully, support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes, to facilitate a coherent approach to air operations.
- Provide support to other staff, assisting them in completing tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Support process reviews, and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air activities and related operations.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
||Description of the Behaviour Expected for the Proficiency Level
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization
||Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
|Planning, Project & Resource Management
||Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
|Information Management & Reporting
||Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
|Service Provision, Aviation Contracting & Operational Execution
||Supports the negotiation of contracts with third parties by collecting and collating necessary information to enable WFP to make informed decisions.
|Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control
||Demonstrates commitment to carrying out individual activities related to aviation in compliance with WFP’s operating standards to make safe and responsible decisions within own scope of work.
|Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security
||Uses aviation systems to monitor operational, safety and security issues in WFP’s aviation services such as airlift and airdrop operations, evacuation flights, and other chartered flight operations.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary School Education.
- Post-secondary certificate in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering or related field is essential for Air Operations roles, desirable for Air Movement roles.
Desired Experience Required:
- Experience in restricted flying zones, and other aviation risks and assisting in flight planning.
- Experience in handling passenger manifests and aircraft loading.
- Experience in interpreting routine weather reports.
- Experience in basic flight following and radiotelephony procedures.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 2nd December, 2021 by 2359hours.
Terms and Conditions:
- Only Nigerian Nationals or candidates who have valid Nigerian residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- The contract is 12 months on a Fixed Term level, with possibility of renewal.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status