Posted on :
10 Nov, 2009
10 Nov, 2009
UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of an experienced Programme Communication Officer (Material Development), NOA to assist with the design and development of messages, information education and communication (IEC) materials/packages.
The candidate will also be responsible for social marketing campaigns, as specific components of behaviour change and social mobilization strategies to support UNICEF’s mission in the country.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties
* Contribute to the development of social marketing strategies related to a particular service, product or practice being promoted and review with partners for cultural relevance and marketability in Nigeria (especially in high-burden areas) where resistance to key household practices may be highest.
* Contribute to the design and development of messages, IEC materials/packages and social marketing campaigns by reviewing background documents and holding discussions with key participant beneficiaries so as to properly understand the challenges, opportunities and knowledge, attitude and practice (KAP) factors related to a particular service, product or practice being promoted.
* Monitor and evaluate the appropriate and timely dissemination of programme communication messages and materials to target audiences and participates in the evaluation of their impact.
* Develop close collaboration with multi-media especially printing houses, advertising agencies, cartoonists, short messages services (SMS) providers and advise on the use of various photographic and audio-visual materials, the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translation, review of layout and graphic design) for effective communication.
* Monitor, evaluate, prepare, analyze and report on the appropriate and timely dissemination of communication for development materials to target audiences, audience feedback on the campaign messages, IEC materials and/or social marketing campaign and participates in the evaluation of their impact through field visits, consultations with government counterparts, partners and community structures and UNICEF programme staff.
* Contribute to the finalization of print and audio-visual IEC materials and resource materials (e.g., training manuals) to ensure branding specifications and some qualitative aspects of production.
* Establish and periodically update an inventory of IEC materials (print, audio, visual) produced or supported by the country and field offices and facilitate acquisition, retrieval and accessing of materials for the
Country Office and Field Offices as may be required.
Minimum qualifications and competencies
* University degree or its equivalence in communications, media relations, social and behavioural sciences or related field. Advanced degree an asset.
* One year practical professional work experience in product marketing, message development and pre-testing, material design and production.
* Fluency in English and knowledge of at least one local language is desirable. Knowledge of other local languages an asset.
* Knowledge of current developments in the fields of social marketing, material design and production.
* Sound judgement, creative thinking and attention to detail.
* Ability to research, analyse, evaluate and synthesize information. Some experience in participatory assessments, audience and behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation of attitudes and beliefs of individuals, groups and communication interventions.
* Ability to organise and conduct basic training on message and material development processes and products.
* Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
* Proven skills in communication, networking, advocacy and negotiation, and team-building skills, are important assets.
* Computer skills, including desktop publishing and graphics packages, Internet navigation and various office applications.
UNICEF, which has a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and competencies (above) will be considered.
Send your documents in a sealed envelope marked ‘confidential’ and with the vacancy number to:
The Human Resources Manager
Plot 617/618, Diplomatic Drive
Central Business District
PMB 2851, Garki, Abuja