APM Terminals is the global terminal operating arm of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group. APM Terminals operates a Global Terminal Network of 76 operating port and terminal facilities and 117 Inland Services operations in 59 countries around the globe. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shift Manager
- Manage all terminal operations during a shift in accordance with plans within the parameters of customer requirements, management direction and safe working practices to achieve agreed levels of productivity and customer service by optimum utilization of recourses.
- Ensure that all personnel within the shift work efficiently to meet Terminal goals, including the external suppliers and serve as primary informational contact for all members of the organization during vessel port call.
- Coordinate and monitor terminal planning and operations to ensure vessels meet sailing or berthing deadlines and ensure proactive action on any foreseen issues. (No changes to be made without consent of relevant Planning).
- Liaise with engineering department shift management to maximise equipment availability and effectiveness.
- ls responsible for efficient allocation of all shift operational staff and the cost-effective utilisation of equipment resources to match the operational requirements of the terminal.
- Ensure that recognised safe working practices are utilised for all terminal operations and maintain effective implementation of safety policies and procedures.
- Provide first line of response for emergency situations and damage assessments.
- Provide terminal presence by maintaining significant visibility checks all quay side and yard activities continuously throughout shift and prepare operational reports as required by management.
- Ensure quay crane idle time is minimal to enable continuous and smooth operations.
- Assist in the development of staff to ensure they perform at efficient and effective levels by monitoring performances taking appropriate action in order they reach full potential.
- Contribute to “on the job” training of supervisory staff and undertake other duties within capabilities as required by senior management.
- Liaise with the Customer Services Manager to continually review, identify and recommend improved operating procedures and systems where required.
- Ability to work in a shift system covering day, night, weekend and holiday duty and if required working overtime.
- Provide first line of response for emergency situations and assessments.
- The incumbent is expected to ensure that daily activities contribute to the achievement of operational results. Responsibility for the execution of day to day operational activities.
We Are Looking For
- Require a high school diploma with extensive marine operations experience or a college degree in Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- Require at least seven years or more of strong supervisory experience in container terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry. Previous experience as a foreman, supervisor, superintendent or other similar position would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Is thorough familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine, stevedoring and terminal operations.
- Is conversant with the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) regulations for the on-board segregation of hazardous cargoes and storage within a terminal area.
- Advanced computer skills with a sound understanding of modern terminal planning and control systems.
- Require an in-depth, comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- Provide leadership and ensure cooperation and support from employees and contractors in all areas of terminal operations to achieve operational objectives of the business using a teamwork approach.
- Fluent in English and local language (where applicable).
- Knowledge of APM Terminals Operating System..
- Ability to meet objectives while promoting a team environment and developing people.
- APM Terminals Apapa Ltd. offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best. If you see yourself being part of a team that helps the global economy grow through our worldwide network of customers and terminals, then we definitely want to hear from you!
- Working at APM Terminals brings a unique blend of being part of an exuberant, enthusiastic and fast-paced logistics company. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to various fields of expertise, from operations to customer service that will accelerate your development. We believe in encouraging our employees to learn, take risks, and grow their careers.
Application Deadline: 4th February, 2020.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online