The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reporter (Pidgin)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/24838
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
- Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
- The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million weekly across various platforms.
- Over the next four years, the BBC World Service will be expanding its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
- Three of the new language services, Pidgin, Yoruba and Igbo, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Port Harcourt, working alongside our operation in Lagos from where the BBC currently produces its Pidgin service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- We are now looking for a reporter with strong digital journalism and language skills (Pidgin as well as English) to work in Port Harcourt.
- This role involves working irregular hours including weekends and public holidays.
The BBC is looking for an excellent reporter to produce a dynamic range of digital content – audio and video – which will appeal to a young audience.
- The successful candidate will have some experience of reporting for a digital media organization. Fluent in Pidgin and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of field reporting, delivering creative output for digital and social media platforms.
- You will have good local contacts. Ability to work under pressure and react to breaking news is essential.
- You must be a self-starter, with a strong ability to work independently.
- You must have work authorization for Nigeria.
- You will report to the Editor, Pidgin Service.
- An excellent knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential, including a good understanding of a broad editorial agenda.
- You will have knowledge of and recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
- To supply timely, rich, expert and authoritative coverage (live and pre-recorded) via digital and social media platforms for the BBC Pidgin Service, BBC Africa and the wider BBC.
- To go on regular newsgathering trips and other relevant assignments for BBC Pidgin, BBC Africa and the wider BBC.
- To be able to source original material primarily for the Pidgin output for online and social media and share material as widely as possible.
- To generate original content ideas and to be able to see them through
- To report daily and breaking news live on various platforms as required
- To produce quality, informative content and creative reports for all BBC Pidgin outlets – online, audio/video and social media outlets.
- To provide timely, creative, expert and authoritative news and non-news coverage and analysis of events that are of interest to BBC Pidgin or other BBC audiences while fully observing BBC editorial guidelines.
- To be able to source multimedia content, primarily for BBC Pidgin digital platforms.
- To be available to report breaking news, and to be able to present live coverage in Pidgin or in English for BBC Africa and other outlets on request
- To act as a contact point and alert BBC editors in Lagos, Abuja and London to breaking news in your region and be ready to file accurate, immediate on the spot reports.
- To be prepared to check and advise against coverage when news agencies or other organisations’ reports are unreliable.
- To build up strong relationships with relevant programme editors.
- To build and maintain an extensive contacts network of academics, politicians, journalists, ordinary people etc. To help provide contact numbers, interviewees, set up guests, and provide other programme material to BBC Pidgin and the wider BBC.
- To offer and develop original story ideas and come up with creative digital story treatments primarily for all Pidgin output and for other outlets as and when required.
- To work on longer term stories and liaise with West Africa Planning SBJ and BBC Africa/World Desk Editor Languages on big stories with impact across the World Service Group.
- To act within the framework of overall BBC coverage, especially by reporters and producers in the region working for the BBC; to maintain co-operative relations and ensure coverage forms part of a coherent overall offer.
- To follow safety requirements and instructions, especially in relation to emergencies; and to report any accidents, dangerous situations or defects in safety arrangements.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
- A full command of Pidgin as first (or equivalent) language is essential. An additional language – Hausa, Yoruba, or Igbo – is desirable.
- An excellent understanding of written and spoken English for journalism and the ability to communicate effectively.
- A good understanding of the needs of a young digitally-savvy audience in the region and an empathy with them is essential.
- Ability to convey story and programme ideas in an exciting way and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- A knowledge of and aptitude for, using modern broadcast and recording (audio & video) digital technology.
- A record of demonstrating good interpersonal skills and an understanding of the importance of working as a part of a team, especially at a distance, as well as working independently.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, apply sensible work priorities and pace him/herself through the assignment.
- A digital media background and social media journalism experience preferable, you will ideally have a strong screen presence for coverage online and on social media.
- A good broadcasting voice and presence and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style to communicate effectively with listeners in Pidgin and English.
- Experience of field reporting on political, economic and trending social issues is desirable. So is the ability to demonstrate a good range of contacts for interview purposes.
- Knowledge of wider regional or international affairs will be an advantage.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives.
- Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Aability to take public comments on board and to make appropriate editorial changes to content.
- Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality.
- Evidence of innovation and the ability to devise creative solutions by developing novel ideas or adapting existing ones in new ways. Evidence of a desire to create beautiful, quality content.
Planning and organisation:
- Able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- As well as the ability to motivate and deal sensitively with people who may be working to tight deadlines
Influencing and persuading:
- Able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others.
- Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Managing relationships and team working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Works co-operatively with the ability to work with other teams in developing tools, features and services.
- Able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential.
- Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
- Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th November, 2017.