Control Risks is an independent, specialist risk consultancy providing solutions for businesses to manage political, security and integrity risks, enabling them to operate successfully in challenging environments. We are looking for motivated and highly skilled people to join our business intelligence team in West Africa, based in our Lagos, Nigeria office.
We provide real benefit to many of the world’s leading organisations. In doing so we give our people direct responsibility, career development and the opportunity to work on some fascinating projects in a rewarding, diverse and enjoyable environment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Analyst
Department: Global Risk Analysis
Manager: Partner, Global Risk Analysis
- The Senior Analyst will assume responsibility for delivering analysis on the political, security and business environment in Nigeria and other countries in West Africa for our clients.
- He / she will play a leading role in client engagement for Nigeria and with international clients, working closely with counterparts in other practice areas.
- The Senior Analyst will deliver tailored and in-depth consultancy (including reports and briefings) to individual client requirements and will represent the company from a thought leadership and public relations perspective.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Leading Control Risks’ Nigeria analysis:
- Regularly cover relevant developments affecting the business environment in Nigeria for clients subscribing to Control risks’ online services to a high standard. This will include writing updates on trends and developments in domestic politics, geopolitics, government policy, regulation, operational and security issues.
- Develop a clear line of analysis on all political, regulatory and security developments relevant to our clients in Nigeria
- Liaise with colleagues as required on regional, transnational or thematic coverage on key issues
- Liaise with Control Risks’ joint venture partners (such as Oxford Economics and International SOS) on joint analytical products. This will include conferring on ratings, and ensuring timely and consistent advice on business continuity and travel where these services are available to clients
- Work closely with other analysts covering Nigeria and the wider region. This will include challenging and accepting feedback on own analysis, and ensuring coherence with other analysts
- Respond to client queries on our analysis and through analyst access
- Maintain a high level of country expertise through routine research
- Ensure all background information is relevant and up-to-date, ratings are reviewed regularly and scenarios are updated as required.
- Cultivate and manage a network of formal sources and informal contacts
- Contribute to analysis of developments in other countries in the region as required
Developing advisory business:
- Build and nurture a contact network of prospective clients in Nigeria, showing an understanding of how to qualify opportunities
- Lead conversations with clients in Nigeria and outside the country on their requirements for analysis of political, security, regulatory and operational risks, especially in Nigeria
- Respond to client requests in a timely manner and to a high standard
- Understand and scope clients’ requirements and lead on consultancy proposals
- Work closely and collaboratively in a proactive manner to cultivate opportunities for cross-disciplinary consulting
- Support business development for the wider region as required
Delivering consulting engagements:
- Lead on the delivery of analysis for client consulting engagements on Nigeria by producing bespoke analysis of political, security, operational and regulatory issues facing clients
- Use source information astutely; conduct in-person research as and when required, respecting client confidentiality
- Contribute to the development of compelling client deliverables making use of innovative presentation formats, graphics and methodologies
- Support and contribute to delivery of consulting engagements for the wider region as required
- Represent Control Risks as a country expert at conferences and in the media when required
- Contribute to regional marketing initiatives including thought leadership (articles, blog posts, podcasts etc.)
Knowledge and Experience
- In-depth knowledge of the political, regulatory and security environment in Nigeria
- Proven experience of analytical writing either for publication or for a commercial client audience, preferably with a focus on political, security and/or operational risk.
- Strong professional experience on West Africa, ideally with a commercial and/or consulting focus.
- Existing source and contact network across Nigeria.
- Practical experience of living, working or travelling in the region.
- In-depth knowledge of political, regulatory, operational and security environment in other countries in West Africa
- Prior experience in client advisory on these issues.
- Existing source and contact network in other countries in West Africa.
- Previous experience in people management
- Prior experience in providing media commentary
Qualifications and Specialist Skills
- Excellent research skills
- Exemplary investigative and analytical skills; ability to formulate a clear line of analysis around all political, regulatory, operational and security developments in Nigeria
- Ability to succinctly articulate risks and challenges faced by businesses across a breadth of sectors
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Strong technical skills in using Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) including basic understanding of Excel for producing graphical analysis
- Native-level standard of fluency in written and verbal English and ability to write clearly, concisely and authoritatively to tight deadlines
- Masters Degree or equivalent in related discipline (Political Science, International Relations, Political Economy, Conflict and Security Analysis, etc.)
- Fluency or proficiency in one additional major business language in the region (e.g. French, Portuguese)
- People management skills
- Owns problems, identifies and works with the right people to solve problems quickly within own remit and wider team
- Implements plans to ensure objectives are achieved or exceeded; focuses on delivery.
- Shows and encourages a determination to achieve high standards
- Uses own and wider knowledge and contributes to others to enable and make sound judgments which impact client and team
- Anticipates the needs of clients and addresses those. Provides the best possible service to our clients, ensuring the client is at the heart of everything we do.
- Builds strong relationships, through common goals, individual contribution and support in times of need
- Considers the regional and global implications of what we do in our own areas of responsibility or team/department
- Understands how and where own activities and projects contribute to the financial success of organisation; understands and acts upon the financial factors that influence the business
- Operates effectively and with resilience in changing or ambiguous situations, contributes to changing environments, and actively assists those around them to adapt
- Plans and organises workload of own and others, suggests priorities as necessary
- Communicates clearly and concisely using language appropriate to audience, displays sensitivity to develop constructive relationships with others.
- Behaviours All employees are expected to display behaviours reflective of our company values: Integrity and Ethics, Collaboration and Teamwork, Commitment to People and Professionalism and Excellence.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Covering Letter and CV’s, to: [email protected]