The European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES) is a not for profit private foundation headquartered in Brussels a global remit. ECES promotes sustainable democratic development through the provision of advisory services and operational support in favor of all electoral stakeholders, including electoral management bodies, civil society organizations dealing with civic & voter education and election observation, political parties and parliaments dealing with electoral reforms, media, security forces and legal institutions dealing with electoral dispute resolution.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Political Party Expert
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports to: Project Coordinator and Executive Director
Duration: 100 Working Days (September 2018 – June, 2019)
ECES holds the Vice Presidency of the European Partnership for Democracy (EPD), the most important network of European civil and political society organizations working on democracy assistance. It is composed by 14 members from 11 EU Member States.
EPD is the first Community of Practice on democracy assistance operating at the EU level advocating for a stronger presence of democracy support on the EU agenda. In this context, ECES and EPD have jointly crafted a strategy called “A European Response to Electoral Cycle Support EURECS”, an innovative delivery mechanism to implement electoral and democracy assistance activities that are consistent with European values and EU policies.
Since February 2012, ECES has signed over 60 contracts in support of transparent, credible and cost-effective electoral processes and for the strengthening of democratic institutions in more than 35 countries essentially in Africa and in the Middle East.
The founders and personnel of ECES have acquired extensive field experience and ECES can count on these knowledge & and experiences as well as on a well its well established network in over 70 countries around the world. The EU is by far the largest ECES’ donor, however the organization has also signed contracts and partnered with many other organizations.
- The project EU-SDGN Support to Independent National Electoral Commission of Nigeria (INEC) is meant to complement the efforts of the Government to improve and strengthen democracy, especially with regards to the 2019 general elections
- Within the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), national authorities renewed their commitment to cooperate in the pursuit and achievement of the objectives foreseen in the EU Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria (EU -SDGN) 2016 2020 Project
- Within the project, EU-SDGN support to NEC is part of a broader EU programme composed of five components as follows: Support to NEC; Support to the National Assembly; Support to Political Parties Support to Media; and Support to CSOs
- The project contributes to the reinforcement of democracy in Nigeria through building strong, effective and legitimate democratic institutions. In particular, the projects aim to:
- Enhance the capacities of the INEC and other electoral stakeholders to deliver effectively;
- Strengthening INEC’s strategic planning, policy framework and operational capacity;
- Enhancing INEC’s internal communication and strengthening the institutional mechanisms to engage with stakeholders
- The design of the EU-SDGN project was undertaken in close cooperation with all relevant electoral stakeholders in Nigeria, taking into account the findings and recommendations EU-EOM to the 2015 general elections, as well as INEC internal review and report on the 2015 general elections
- Furthermore, the project is built upon European Response to Electoral Cycle Support Strategy.
- The Political Party Expert under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and Executive Director will provide technical support for project activities.
Functions/Key Results Expected
The Political Party Expert will have the following specific responsibilities and will provide the following deliverables:
- Organize national and zonal de-briefing sessions for monitors of political party primaries towards 2019 General Elections;
- Training of EPM Staff on the legal framework for political party campaign finance tracking and party primaries;
- Sensitization Workshop for political parties and candidate on the new legal framework for campaign finance tracking political party primaries;
- Organize capacity building workshops for media organizations and CSOs on the political Finance
- Provide technical support for the revitalisation of the Inter-Agency Monitoring Committee on Campaign finance;
- Provide technical support for the reports on the 2019 Campaign finance tracking project.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the ECES;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ECES’ values and ethical standards.
- Harmonisation of the findings and recommendations from the campaign finance workshops as well as the six zonal political finance training workshops conducted by INEC;
- Redesigning and production of campaign finance tracking forms and production of dummy copies;
- Draft report on 2015 campaign finance tracking project;
- Training of EPM staff upon completion of the Redesigning of the campaign finance tracking forms
- Sensitization of political parties/candidates on the new campaign finance tracking forms and reporting obligations;
- Technical support/Monitoring of campaign finance tracking project in Osun Governorship Election and 2019 General Elections;
- Design Work plan for 2019 General Elections Campaign Finance tracking project;
- Setting up of campaign finance template for presidential election; Technical support on monitoring of political party primaries;
- Advanced University Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Administration, Social Sciences or any related field of study
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications is a must;
- Good interpersonal skills and result orientation;
- Ability to work in a multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to perform effectively under high pressure, hardship conditions.
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in political party/election campaign finance tracking in Nigeria;
- Proven experience of relevant work on political party issues and democratic governance work in Nigeria;
- Previous experiences in similar positions within not for profit organizations and/or international organizations;
- Demonstrable experience in capacity building of EMBs staff on political parties’ activities and monitoring;
- Excellent reporting and analytical skills;
- Excellent working level of English language in both writing and speaking
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications, which should consist of two separated documents below, to: [email protected]
- A motivation letter of maximum one page
- Curriculum Vitae of maximum of three pages
Application Deadline 31st August, 2018.
- No further documents are required at this stage
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.