Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
Job Title: HR/Administrative Coordinator
Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Law, Business Administration or Management; Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar position.
Under the overall guidance of the Finance and Operations Manager, the HR/Administrative Coordinator will provide support for the day to day running (including HR, administrative and logistical activities) of the HKI Country Office, ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
The HR/Administrative Coordinator promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach and ensures consistent service delivery.
- Leading the recruitment of new hires and organizing the orientation for new staff;
- Filing and updating staff files; maintaining staff contracts and personnel files;
- Ensuring the update of local rules and regulations;
- Coordinating the annual performance evaluation report process for all staff and preparing annual performance evaluation reports on staff under his/ her supervision.
- Carrying out other HR functions as directed by Regional HR Director, Country Director and Finance /Operations Manager.
- Preparing monthly payroll and appropriate wage, pension and income tax payments deductions and ensuring that they are paid in timely manner;
- Compilation of staff timesheet for CD approval and recording of staff leave;
- Supervising and ensuring the implementation of National Staff Terms and Conditions
- The HR/Administrative Coordinator is to ensure implementation of operational strategies including:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with HKI regulations, policies and strategies;
- Support to the HKI Country Office administrative business processes;
- Implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management;
- The HR/Administrative Coordinator will ensure effective and efficient provision of HKI Office coordination activities which include:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources for administrative services;
- Overseeing the reception of visitors to the organization and direction of visitors and partners inquiries to appropriate authorities in a professional manner.
- Coordination of logistics including booking of flight and hotel reservations, making arrangement for transportation, review of travel authorizations documentation and payments;
- Coordination and supervision of support staff (driver, office assistant);
- The HR/Administrative Coordinator will provide support to proper supply and assets management including:
- Proper inventory control; supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies;
- Providing assistance to the Finance and Operations Manager in the preparation of budgets, audits and other reports;
- Coordination of assets management in HKI Country Office which includes coordination of physical verification of inventory items;
- Ensuring provision of reliable and quality office supplies;
Assist in country audit as needed;
- Assist in following up on audit findings and recommendations;
- Attend monthly meetings and subcommittee meetings as required;
- Maintain and update HKI-NG Emergency Action Plan (EAP) and distribute the updated
- EAP to all new staff and interns;
- Responsible for all HKI registration documentation, immigration and work permits;
- Assist with meetings and discussions with partners as needed;
- Ensure safety measures are maintained in the vehicle and office including First Aid and fire precautions;
- Oversee the Administrative Assistant in carrying out Fleet Management functions;
- Oversee the Communication Assistant in carrying out Facility Management functions;
- Provide dotted line supervision to state logistics staff
- Provide support in the organization of trainings and seminars;
- Briefing to staff members on human resources issues and general administrative matters; provision of advice and administrative support.
- Execute all other tasks as assigned by the FM or CD
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirement
- Able to work under pressure and under minimal supervision and able to meet deadlines
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft Office, internet
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Demonstrates excellent personal integrity and confidentiality.
Job Title: Driver
Secondary Education; valid Driver’s license
1-2 years’ work experience as a driver; preferably in a development organization, safe driving record, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
Fluency in Hausa will be an added advantage.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Logistic Assistant, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. The Driver provides driving services to the operations and programme staff in the HKI, Katsina office.
Duties and Responsibilities
The driver will provide technical support to:
Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel within and outside Katsina,
- Delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport
- Prompt completion of log books.
- Sorting and distribution of mail as required;
- Perform minor office moves which will include moving pieces of office furniture and PCs, et.c as at when required
- The vehicle is garaged overnight in the official car park and the keys are secure;
- All necessary reports are completed in connection with any accident and the driver must report this situation to the supervisor immediately
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs.
- Ensures proper day-to- day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of in accidents.
How to Apply
All applicants should submit electronically forwarding the following under listed to [email protected]
A curriculum vitae, which should indicate at minimum applicant’s qualification and dates obtained; previous work experience and dates; age and referees
A cover letter
Please note that subject of email should be HR/ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR or DRIVER/ DFID and both CV and cover letter should be saved with the applicant’s name e.g. John Smith CV and John Smith Cover letter
Kindly note that:
- 1. Applications received after 5pm on the day will not be considered.
- 2. Only applications submitted electronically will be considered.
- 3. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.