INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GBV Focal Point Personnel
Location: Maiduguri with frequent missions to (Ngala, Bama and Dikwa LGAs) and sporadic missions to Abuja, Borno State, Nigeria
Start Date: 15th April, 2018.
Contract Duration: 4 months
Reporting to: Project manager, Project coordinator
Supervision of: Around 10 local staff
General Context of the Project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled North-eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.3 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 25 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing an integrated project to address critical gaps in health, nutrition, and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki) and Dikwa (Dikwa) Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria. A GBV-protection component has been recently added to the project, in order to responds to the identified GBV-protection gaps
The protection component of the project will target:
- Comprehensive services provision for GBV survivors including specialized case management, individual psychosocial counselling for survivors and individuals showing high levels of distress, group psychosocial support for women and girls, targeted material assistance;
- Capacity building of specific protection staff responsible for different technical elements of GBV prevention and response, including individual case management of GBV cases, MHPSS, PFA and safe and confidential referral to specialized services
- Mobile case management and PSS
- Security audits, FDGs and regular in depth sector assessments
- Including men and boys in promoting protection and GBV prevention
General Purpose of the Position<
- The GBV focal point will technically oversee the protection activities INTERSOS will carry out in the framework of the whole project, ensuring operations quality.
- S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Supervise implementation of protection activities in a timely manner
- Develop and manage the implementation of/adherence to work plan and M&E plans
- Contribute to ensure that reports are submitted to the leading agency as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators
- Contribute to develop project proposals for the GBV sector in Borno State, in close coordination with the technical team, protection focal point and under the supervision of the Coordination of INTERSOS Nigeria;
- Carry out rapid assessments to investigate further programming opportunities inside Borno State;
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to build capacity of INTERSOS in GBV sector, to meet minimum standards for GBV programme in Emergency, including training and mentoring of the staffs with the technical support of the Advisors.
- Technical support for GBV activities throughout the programme providing insights to national and international staff on the standards including tools and methodologies.
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to strengthen the INTERSOS Nigeria protection sector.
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to ensure 5W matrices are submitted to the State Clusters as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to represent the program with national authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors, etc. in Borno State and in Abuja.
- Recruit and train national staff as required to achieve the project protection objectives.
- Relevant degree and/or equivalent GBV working experience.
- Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous Humanitarian experience.
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and
- flexibility, ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Good knowledge of the international standard on GBV and Protection.
- Excellent organizational skills in highly complex emergency operation
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Fully proficient in written and spoken English
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 4th April, 2018.