Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Coordinator Support Officer
Location: Abakaliki, Ebonyi
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Representing MSF externally together with the Project Coordinator (PC) or alone (when delegated) and negotiating on behalf of the project coordination in close cooperation with the PC and based on beforehand agreed messaging.
- Monitoring, analysing and reporting on key issues (security, risk, etc.) to the Project Coordinator and providing contextual information, through a sound knowledge of counterparts, parties, actors, authorities and military groups,. Maintaining the security database and providing a biweekly context analysis based on recent incidents and developments
- Assisting in exploratory missions and assessments as needed and participating in the development of security plans
- Assisting the Project Coordinator in Internal and External Communication sessions and events about MSF (for National staff, the Ministry of Health staff, as well as local authorities, community leader, military actors, security forces) in order to improve awareness, understanding of MSF principles and services and public opinion adhesion. Write meeting minutes and contribute to the meeting logbook.
- Ensuring the continuity of relations/networking with local actors (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, media, etc.) and filing and updating field contacts and correspondence in order to ensure information sources accuracy and its availability on regular basis. Organizing advocacy contacts and appointments for the Project Coordinator
- Translating and reviewing documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Assisting the Project Coordinator in the drafting of correspondences with authorities and counterparts (government officials, military actors, community leaders, UN agencies, NGOs, etc.) in order to ensure fluent and accurate communication flows.
- Preparing and conducting context, cultural and security briefings on the project context to new employees (national and international) in order to facilitate their integration and within the project environment. Ensuring regular security briefings/trainings of assessment team, drivers, and guards in consultation with the Project Coordinator.
- Being contactable by phone and available to assist the Project Coordinator with important context, security and operational issues that may occur outside of regular working hours.
- Performing assigned additional responsibilities or tasks as required by the Project Coordinator
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participate in exploratory missions according to the Field Coordinator indications, in order to better comprehend context, priorities and constraints when required
- Maintain the database on security incidents in close collaboration with Field Coordinator and provide monthly reports on context analysis
- In close collaboration with GIS, work on the development of maps across road kiss movements, new routes for movements etc & develop networking with key actors for updates on road security
- Provide cultural briefing as part of induction to new staff and visitors on Abakaliki and SE region
- Participate in security management (updating incident logbook, external contact database) in the project and assist in updating security guidelines
- Monitor the security situation and risks in South East Nigeria and Ebonyi State and provide regular inputs to the Field Coordinator
- Develop networking and mapping of key actors involved in security, local and international ngos in the region
- Promote medical advocacy objectives by increasing MSF presence in the NGO coalition in collaboration with the Field coordinator.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- University Degree, preferably in the field of Social Sciences (Political Sciences, International Public Law, Anthropology, and Economics)
- Essential: Experience in and exposure to working in a complicated political, security and humanitarian environment.
- Essential: Experience in data collection, reporting and analysis
- Desirable two years previous experience in similar jobs in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs
- Désirable: Management expérience
- Mission and local language (English, Igbo, Pidgin English) essential (high level command oral and written
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, Internet/social media)
- Excellent understanding of MSF’s principles and values
- Knowledge of and interest in humanitarian issues
- In-depth contextual knowledge and analysis skills
- High level of knowledge of local culture and customs
Application Deadline: 3rd July, 2023.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.