Medecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996.
A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontières and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Activity Supervisor (Mission Electrician)
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Supervising and monitoring the implementation the logistics activities in the project related to his/her technical activity or activities (Construction, ICT, WHS, Workshop, etc.) according to MSF standards, protocols and procedures in order to ensure the efficient running of MSF systems, infrastructure and equipment of the project
Description of the Responsibilities/Activities
Supervising and monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of his/her technical activity/activities in the project ensuring compliance to MSF standards, protocols and procedures. Including one or more of the following activities:
- Construction: all technical and scheduling aspects of the building and rehabilitation activities in the project
- ICT: installation and maintenance of the systems and communications’ software and hardware
- Workshop: the daily mechanical servicing activities of equipment and vehicles in the capital and project
- Other technical logistics activities
- Supervising and leading the logistic team under his/her responsibility including the definition of each person’s tasks (daily supervision and checking the quality of their work); drawing up working schedule; organising and leading meetings of the team and participating in the staff selection and training
- Planning and supervising the HR processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation and internal, external communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activity
- Managing and organizing the materials and tools needed for his/her activity/activities which includes inventory of stocks, receipt and processing of orders, keeping records of received goods and checking the monthly consumptions of consumable items
- Planning together with the line manager, the required checks and maintenance activities of the set-up/systems of his technical activity/activities
- Participating in monthly reports according to guidelines and implementing reporting practices and protocols
- Performing delegated tasks according to his her speciality and as specified in his/her job description
- Ensuring that all electrical installations in the MSF Nigeria mission facilities comply with MSF standards in terms of safety and equipment protection.
- Ensuring that mandatory yearly checklists on all mission sites are filled properly and on timely basis by his team and the action points are carried out in time. The records are kept in the relevant kits and should be made available as and when needed on all mission sites.
- Supporting the projects in their maintenance and updates of their electrical installations by giving technical advice, planning and supervision, and if necessary carrying out the works him/herself.
- Ensuring that the relevant documentation eg. Electrical schematic drawings and inventory of critical equipment ie Generators and backup systems are done and available at the site.
- Maintaining and proposing the minimum stock levels in the project and mission sites, and supports Supply with the inventory of critical spare parts. Supporting the projects and the LogCo in defining orders.
- Defining the de-commissioning of unserviceable electrical equipment together with the project and LogCo.
- Assisting Supply team in identifying local technical service providers that can be used by MSF.
- Carrying out a comprehensive market assessment of good quality spares on the local market.
- Responsibility for suggesting and implementing energy saving measures in all mission project facilities, and supports in negotiations with the Supplier or contractors.
- 75% of time will be on regular and emergency project visits all over the mission to follow up on major energy related challenges or developments in order to enhance continuity and reliability of energy supply.
- Planning and coordinating daily tasks and field visits of the Electrician as well as his own in collaboration with his supervisor. Field visits are planned according to the demand of the projects, and for maintenance, initiated by the Mission Electrician.
- Supporting the project and Coordination, if requested, as technical referent for recruitments.
- Must be flexible and willing to travel to all MSF OCA projects sites to carry out duties assigned as and when required which may be at very short notice.
- Essential secondary education; desirable engineering or construction diplo-ma/education
- Basic and advanced MSF energy course successfully attended will be an added advantage
- Essential at least two years of working experience in similar jobs
- Mission language desirable; local language essential
- Computer literacy (and according to the requirements of the technical activity) and experience with Visio or Autocad software in electrical schematic drawing.
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Service Orientation
- Stress Management.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of all necessary credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) in an envelope (specify on the envelope – “Technical Activity Supervisor”) to the address below:
Human Resource Coordinator,
No. 11, First Avenue, Gwarinpa,
by email to: [email protected] Put “Technical Activity Supervisor” under the subject line
To any project office in Sokoto, Zamfara or Benue.
Application Deadline: 14th February, 2020