Stand To End Rape Initiative (STER) is a youth-led social enterprise advocating against sexual violence, providing prevention mechanisms, and supporting survivors with psychosocial services. We advocate for rape survivors who can’t speak about their ordeal due to stigmatisation, by enlightening our community on the need to end rape and victim-blaming. STER was started with the firm belief that no survivor should suffer in silence and that comprehensive support systems are crucial for their healing and justice. We strive to create a society that stands against rape, supports survivors, and holds perpetrators accountable. Our ultimate goal is to eradicate rape and create a safe and inclusive Nigeria for all. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Rights & Advocacy Officer
Employment Type: Full Time
- The Unit strategises and develops interventions to foster policy reforms and increase access to justice on SGBV issues.
- This entails legal analysis of policies and their impacts on SGBV nationally and regionally, developing survivor-centred strategies for case-by-case intervention and provision of legal services to survivors (advice and representation, and liaison with relevant agencies).
- Identify gaps and develop multi-dimensional strategies for litigation and policy issues on sexual and gender-based violence in Nigeria and Africa.
- Liaise with relevant authorities such as the police, Ministry of Justice and Attorney
- General when necessary to ensure appropriate and prompt prosecution of sexual and gender-based violence cases.
- Provide informed legal advice and representation to the organisation in all areas.
- Liaise with clients and/or their families when necessary to provide legal advice and prepare them for cross-examination in court.
- Manage and monitor STER’s legal cases of SGBV across Nigeria.
Requirements, Knowledge and Expertise
- LLB in Law.
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association.
- 4 years’ post-call experience in policy advocacy and criminal litigation, particularly on
- SGBV and human rights issues.
- Experience working with local organisations, firms, NGOs or INGOs in the same capacity.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Tools.
- Good analytical and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team management and ethical standards.
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Curriculum Vitae and brief Cover Letter to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: 7th August, 2023.