World Bank – The World Bank, Nigeria Country office is looking for an experienced professional, capable of operating effectively in a very demanding fast paced environment to serve as a Extended Term Consultant in the Social Protection Unit.
The Nigeria SP portfolio comprises IDA-funded projects amounting to about US$ 500million now could increase in next two years. This portfolio includes operations on community driven development for social services, youth employment and safety nets focused on human development. Policy dialogue, technical assistance and analytical work focused mainly on jobs agenda, protection and promotion of basic services for the poor and vulnerable is also carried out in the SP unit.
Job Title: E T Consultant
Job No: 131917
Job Family: Social Protection
Job Type: Consultant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duties and Accountabilities
- The consultant will work with the Nigeria Social Protection team and provide advice/support mainly for the development of a comprehensive social safety net for Nigeria. To this end the consultant will take part in the conduct of analytical work, as well as project preparation/supervision work, including missions/field visits related to ongoing and pipeline projects.
- Assist the TTL, and the project teams in the identification, preparation and appraisal of pipeline projects to be financed by the World Bank, with a specific focus on social protection;
- Assist the TTL and the project teams in the technical supervision of on-going project – Youth Employment and Social Support Operation;
- Support the development of key documents for policy dialogue and contribute to the discourse on the subject of Social Protection in Nigeria with government and other development partners.
- Carry out any other related technical assessments (including the preparation of analytical pieces and/or technical reports on various aspects of ongoing and pipeline Bank projects) and administrative activities required by the TTL, Sector Manager and Country Director.
- A postgraduate degree (Masters or equivalent) in Social Sciences with concentration in Welfare Economics or Labour Economics, Public Policy or Management, Poverty Reduction, Rural Development and or Sociology.
- At least seven years of progressive professional experience in the relevant field.
- Relevant experience in Development Agencies operations, including provision of technical or operational support for projects or country assistance strategies, in the area of human capital development will be an added advantage.
- Superior organizational and logistical skills; research, oral presentation skills, and capacity to work simultaneously and effectively on a variety of tasks; in a team and intercultural environment, and with minimal supervision.
- Also Excellent writing, oral and presentation skills.
- Willing to travel to remote areas in Nigeria and field experience in developing countries a plus.
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
- Social Protection Knowledge and Experience – Demonstrates strong operational and analytical skills. Has experience working with economic and institutional issues related to social protection. Ability to contribute to the evaluation, design, and/or implementation of social protection programs.
- Integrative Skills – Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector.
- Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
Application Closing Date
26th August, 2013
Method Of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply