TechnoServe is a nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. TechnoServe has earned a 4-star rating from independent elevator Charity Navigator for the last 10 years, placing us in the top 1 percent of all its rated nonprofits. TechnoServe’s work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. TechnoServe is widely recognized for developing and catalyzing high impact market-led partnerships that expand small holder market access and improve food security. Operating in thirty countries, we work with a variety of corporations, government, civil society partners and farmers to implement programs that help raise farmer incomes and yields in the cocoa, cashew, cassava and other key industries.
We are interested in collaborating with our client an international non-profit organization that develops agricultural solutions to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture on an upcoming five-year project. The focus will be on the commercialization of an innovative bio control product in Africa.
To support this innovative effort, TechnoServe seeks a seasoned manager with proven experience to lead the agribusiness component of the project. This position is contingent upon TechnoServe being awarded the project.
TechnoServe is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Director, Agribusiness (Nigeria)
In this role you will:
- Provide overall management for the implementation of the country strategies in the target countries
- Select, establish, activate and manage the channel partnership platform: distributors, wholesalers, agro-dealers, farmers, etc
- Conduct regular field visits to farms, manufacturing and distribution sites in the selected countries
- Anticipate and remove any constraints on the field (including within the partnerships) that will lead to a derailment of the set objectives of the business
- Provide training and mentoring support to the Business Development and M&E Specialists Coordinate the production and dissemination of communication materials (print and electronic) relating to the project and the organizations involved in the business
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors
- Support proper implementation of donor rules
- Provide hands-on assistance and guidance to field teams during annual audits and donor audits, as required
- Willingness to travel at least 50 percent of time
- Lead in the forecasting of product (by region/country) and liaise with other stakeholders internally to align with organizational budgetary and financial objectives
- Establish the supply chain system (from the manufacturer to the end user: dispatch of goods to various locations/countries, storage, distribution and utilization on the farms)
- Create and maintain a sustainability plan that ensures that the business is profitable and addresses the social and economic realities in the communities in which it operates
- Lead the development of the business linkages between the production facilities and the farmers, processors and markets within the countries and outside the continent
- Meet and liaise with relevant government officials, potential investors, private sector, donors and development partners active in the agricultural value chain
You will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business, Agriculture or other relevant subject with a minimum of 10 years of work experience in agribusiness development, preferably in Africa; or master’s degree in economics, business, agriculture or other relevant subject with a minimum of 7 years of work experience in agribusiness development, preferably in Africa.
- Ability to anticipate demand, manage multiple tasks/ projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ICT skills.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English is non-negotiable.
- Ability to speak French will be an advantage
- Experience in working in challenging, complex and post-conflict countries will be an advantage
- Demonstrated experience in technology transfer.
- Proven experience managing a dynamic team.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships.
- Strong organizational, analytical and quantitative skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below
- We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants.
- Candidate should click on the link above to apply and upload their Resume, Cover letter, Salary history and Three professional references.
- Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
- TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization.
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.