The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of a Yam Breeder/Geneticist.
Responsibilities: The Yam Breeder/Geneticist will provide leadership to the on-going yam breeding research at IITA and ensure the continuation and expansion of relevant external and internal partnerships with other programs. Tasks include:
- Development of highly productive yam varieties and breeding populations with resistance to diseases and pests, good food and nutritional qualities, and desirable physiological and agronomic traits adapted to different agro-ecozones of sub-Saharan Africa (with initial emphasis on West and Central Africa).
- Use of innovative approaches for the exploitation of genetic diversity and genomic data from a range of Dioscorea species in germplasm enhancement and improvement of yams.
- Integrating conventional yam breeding with MAB in collaboration with biotechnologists.
- High quality research in breeding for resistance to biotic and tolerance to abiotic stresses, enhanced nutritional and end use quality traits, and their genetic basis.
- Publishing and communicating research on yam genetic improvement
- Establishing and fostering relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector and Advanced Research Institutes
- Fostering an effective mechanism for delivery of improved yam germplasm to NARES and the private sector
- Providing technical backstopping and assistance in building yam breeding capacity of national programs.
- Mobilizing and managing research funds effectively.
Duty Station: Ibadan, Nigeria.
Qualifications/Experience: The candidate should have a PhD degree in plant breeding or genetics and good working knowledge of molecular genetics and use of statistical software and genetic tools.
At least 7 years experience in a field-breeding program, and adequate exposure to molecular biology to implement marker-aided selection.
- A strong peer-reviewed publication record
- Minimum of 5 years of organizational, planning and budget management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of donor relations experience including presentation of concept notes, proposal writing and oversight of compliance matters resulting in continuously donor funded projects.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Demonstrated strong statistical data analysis capabilities.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa is an added advantage
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/cms/details/job_application.aspx
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.