Posted on :
13 Dec, 2010
13 Dec, 2010
Technoserve, Inc. is an international nonprofit development organization founded in 1968. Its mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women in poor rural areas of the developing world to build businesses that create jobs, income and economic opportunity for their families, their communities and their countries.
II. BACKGROUND AND PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The “Made in Nigeria” program is a 15 month entrepreneurship competition which aims to identify, incentivize and capacitate Nigeria’s highest potential agro-processors to increase their purchases from local farmers. The key program activities are to:
* Identify, quantify and prioritize the top agro-processing opportunities in Nigeria for increasing local sourcing;
* Design and launch a competition-based capacity building program to help promising agro-processors source more from local farmers, thus creating jobs and income opportunities for rural Nigerians; and
* Design and implement sustainable technical assistance to the top 10 agro-processors and their smallholder suppliers.
Through this program, TechnoServe intends to lay the groundwork to establish a fully operational country program with annual turnover between $1.5 -$2 million. A successful candidate will be able to manage the day to day implementation of the entrepreneurship program activities and develop a pipeline of new potential funding opportunities in Nigeria.
III. PRIMARY PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary role of the Chief of Party will be to 1) manage the “Made in Nigeria” entrepreneurship program, 2) manage the establishment and staffing of TechnoServe’s Nigeria office and 3) cultivate relationships and opportunities for further TechnoServe expansion in Nigeria. Specifically, the COP will be responsible for:
* Executing the “Made in Nigeria” entrepreneurship competition program excellently.
* Representing TechnoServe to current and potential partners and donors within the public, private and non-profit sectors in Nigeria and in the region.
* Supervising the establishment and development of TechnoServe’s office in Nigeria and managing all administrative and programmatic staff.
* Keeping the Regional Director abreast of all key issues, potential opportunities and risks, as well as key decisions affecting the on-going TechnoServe presence in Nigeria.
IV. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Develops, presents and implements the annual goals and objectives of the Nigeria program.
* Develops and implements the strategic vision of TechnoServe’s Nigeria program, ensuring that all program decisions are consistent with TechnoServe’s strategic plan.
* Oversees effective/efficient management of the client business portfolio, including technical assistance, M&E, quality control, cost-effectiveness and day-to-day oversight.
Fundraising & Networking
* Spearheads new business development to secure sufficient funding to grow the country program.
* Cultivates and maintains partner and donor relationships with USAID and other US government agencies, local governments, bilateral and multilateral development/donor organizations, foundations and relevant local NGOs, and private sector associations and corporations.
* Designs programs and develops proposals to secure funding from donors.
* Liaises with the media, the public, local governments and other partners/donors to build the positive public image of TechnoServe Nigeria.
Human Resource Management
* Spearheads recruitment and ensures retention of dedicated, highly-qualified staff to administer all TechnoServe programs in Nigeria.
* Implements and evaluates on-going professional development (training) for staff.
* Completes performance evaluations and recommends/implements salary increases for individual staff on an annual basis.
* Communicates internally and externally with local employees, home office and division.
Financial and Legal Management
* Implements and manages overall country budget, as well as individual program budgets.
* Is knowledgeable of all funding sources and ensures the review and timely submission of all reporting requirements (both internal and external).
* Manages relations with financial institutions.
* Serves as the legal representative of TechnoServe, Inc. in Nigeria.
* Ensures that TechnoServe is properly registered in-country, has tax-exempt status where possible and is in compliance with all local laws (labor, taxes, registration, etc.)
* Executes contracts and agreements with partners, donors and stakeholders.
* Ensures the proper acquisition, management and eventual disposition of all TechnoServe operational assets (vehicles, computers, furniture, etc.)
V. KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE
* Masters degree in business, economics, agriculture or related field, excellent academic record
* 7-10 years experience in management consulting, business management, business education, agriculture or agro-processing
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Proven track record in fundraising or business development
* Proven ability to work in multi-cultural work environment
* Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work through implementing partners and business development with donors and partners
* Willingness to travel domestically and internationally , as necessary
* Estimated 6,200 small holder farmers benefit from increase in domestic agro-processing purchases
* Estimated $1.5 million in farmer revenue generated through the increase in domestic sourcing for agro-processing
Reports to: Regional Director, West & Southern Africa
VII. OTHER INFORMATION
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary history and three professional references to: [email protected]. Please reference “Nigeria COP” in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
TechnoServe, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.