Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states – Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna – focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Knowledge Management and Learning Advisor
- The post holder will lead the design, development and management of Knowledge Management and Learning initiatives across the country programme, creating and institutionalizing innovative and pragmatic approaches.
- The post holder will provide technical oversight for knowledge management across all programs and operations functional units.
Key Areas of Accountability
System Design and Roll-Out:
- Working closely with the Head of MEAL, design SCI’s approach/strategy to knowledge management and learning, setting down the minimum requirements and ensuring that it complements and forms part of the overall MEAL system
- Ensure that a learning culture is fostered within the organisation and the KM&L is an integral element of programming
- Work closely with PDQ team members to promote understanding of the importance of KM&L to achieve quality programming
- At the CO level be a key link between the PDQ and Programme Implementation Strategy teams, to ensure that KM&L is promoted as a key tool in programme management and strategy development
- Through the MEAL Coordinators, support field offices to prioritise KM&L and identify entry points
- Keep track of all project evaluations and, in coordination with technical / project managers, design evaluation TORs, provide briefings to consultants and provide logistical support to ensure evaluations happen smoothly
- Capture and disseminate lessons learned from evaluations and follow up on action planning, maintain a lessons learned database
- Ensure that learning is accessed and used as an integral part of programme design and implementation
- As required provide trainings to raise awareness on the importance of learning
- Lead knowledgebase planning, initial load execution and all future maintenance planning. Composes a range of strategies and practices used at organizational level to identify, create, represent, distribute, and enable adoption of new organizational knowledge.
- Determine long-term and short-term strategic plans to achieve the objectives of the organization. Provide guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established policies.
- With the Head of MEAL, feed into programme and proposal design to ensure that new programme design is based on previous learning
- Make sure that technical managers have easy access to learning documents for reference purpose
Communication and Reporting:
- Coordinate, collaborate and oversee best practice consolidation with all thematic areas, ensure that the knowledgebase is configured appropriately for optimum performance and widely adopted use.
- Promote learning in the country office, particularly on issues of programme quality. Regularly analyze and produce reports on best practices and case studies; ensure new analysis and information is available, including for the forthcoming communications strategy
- Ensure effective storage of assessment, surveys and evaluations and/or organizational knowledge on the shared folders, and to use this knowledge base to promote learning across the organisation
- To manage and lead on key pieces of M&E research and development, for example providing advice on how SC determines issues of attribution/contribution
- One-pagers describing the project, key activities, approaches, outcomes and impacts;
- Produce case studies, best practices; lessons learned and project audit documents for internal and external use;
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Post graduate qualification in a knowledge management and/or development related area – (Information, Communication, Economics, Public Policy, Development Management, International Relations, Business Administration etc.)
- 10 years of overall relevant professional experience, including in knowledge management.
- Experience in developing/managing knowledge management systems/programmes
- Advanced experience with current KM technologies, including Web and Enterprise 2.0.
- Experience in leading/managing knowledge product development and dissemination. Substantial understanding of knowledge management theory, practice and tools
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Local language skills (Ability to communicate in Hausa and other local languages will be an advantage).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below